A good friend persuaded me to make a double boiled dessert for her 80-year-old vegan Mum. She ordered a double-boiled peach gum in papaya (S$30) for their Mother’s Day celebration. I was extremely busy with my school projects but agreed as she is known to be a filial daughter.
Peach gum (500g for S$15) is an edible resin that is exuded from the bark of the peach tree. As it hardens, it resembles crystals.
…. the pretty amber colour is captivating.
You have to soak the gum a day earlier before cooking the dessert. Preferably let it soak for 18 hours, as the bigger the size of the gum, the longer it has to be soaked.
What I dislike about cooking this dessert is the tedious preparation process of filtering the impurities and rinsing them several times.
- contains collagen for firmer skin and makes wrinkles less visible;
- rejuvenates your skin;
- cleanse your blood and build up your immune system, removing cholesterol and balancing the pH in your body.
soaked and cleaned (500g for S$20)
Peach Gum Nourishing Beauty Tonic
50 g peach gum
2 litres water or red date and longan drink
rock sugar (according to your taste)
20 g white fungus (optional)
2 tablespoons of basil seeds (optional)
Red date and longan drink
10 dried red dates
20 dried longans
1. Soak two tablespoons of peach gum in water overnight. It would expand to 10 times its size.
To remove the impurities, which are actually small pieces of bark or specks of black stuff, rinse the jelly-like gum until it is sufficiently clean. Drain the water and leave them aside.
2. Wash and rinse the dried red dates and longans. Pour 2 litres of water into a pot. Add the dried red dates and longans, boil them for 30 minutes, then simmer for another 30 minutes. Filter.
3. Add the soaked gum, ginger (optional) and rock sugar. cook for 20 minutes.
4. Set aside to cool before serving. You may leave it in the fridge for a chilled dessert.
Peach gum is tasteless. Be creative. Experiment with various ingredients and come up with some refreshing and yummy flavours.
I have created 18 varieties of this dessert. Below are some of my creations.
Peach Gum Beauty Drink
Apple and Peach Gum Nourishing Beauty Tonic